Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Thibault Family Farm

Sad to say I was recently dismayed to hear that my great grandfathers dairy barn was purchased, taken down and moved to Connecticut. I had long since been planning the relocation of this lovely piece of family history myself but was unable to complete the deal due to the lack of property which we didn't own. When we finally moved last October I thought... GREAT... We will move in, get settled and begin making arrangements. Winter came and who would have thought it wouldn't be there in the spring. NO ONE moves a barn in the middle of winter... Do They?? Well, yes they do.


The barn was purchased over the winter and moved to Connecticut. Although I am sad to say it won't be mine I am happy in the knowledge that it did find a new home and a new life on someone else's property. My mother wasn't sure exactly what it was being used for but it certainly would have made a lovely shop or home. I know the picture doesn't do it justice but in its day it was a sight to behold. Two stories with a large cupola that once had a copper or brass pig on the top. The gentleman that had purchased the farm where the barn had stood sold the weather vane topper to a couple that lived in New York City for a decoration in their home. Having said that I am happy to report that I do currently have some of the barn in my living room. When we last visited the farm I almost fell through the floor. I forgot my mother had warned me that this barn had a basement. Yes... I did say basement. My cousin caught me before I took that last step when the floor began to crumble beneath me. We were able to remove some the wood. Then we took some of the red exterior walls and some of the milk house wood and a few other pieces here and there. Its not easy to explain to airport security why you have luggage filled with old wood. Trust me... I know this for a fact and am happy to report that although the barn is gone it is not forgotten and I am happy knowing that I do still own a small piece of one of the family farms.
Stephanie

No comments: